Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Okay, maybe I'm not as smart as my doctor....

I detest prescription medicine.
I detest prescription medicine.
I detest prescription medicine.
I detest....... Okay, you get my drift.

Recently my primary care physician placed me on a what I consider a lot of prescription medication.
I am a diabetic and have been one since 2000. But I had been able to control my sugar level with diet and exercise and water.
Well, I stopped dieting, exercising and I add Kool-Aid to my water.
So it shouldn't have been a surprise when my doctors told me in May what my A1C(your blood sugar level over a three-month period) level was. You want it to be a 6 or less, which mine had always been since I started working on it. It was doubled that in May.
I pictured toes being cut off, legs being amputated, my kidneys failing, going blind.
I pictured my son.
He needed me, a healthy me who would be around for decades.
The number scared me, but I thought, "Hey, I've lowered my sugar levels before, I can do it again."
But I have never had high blood pressure or high cholesterol. I have to not only think about how is this piece of food I stick in my mouth going to affect my sugar level, but what is it going to do to my cholesterol and my blood pressure.
That's a lot to think about.
For the month of May, I did what I did years ago to bring my numbers down - sans medicine and the exercise. (I didn't get my prescription filled.)
My numbers came down, but only slightly.
So I've resigned myself to take the pills and to walk and to drink 100 ounces of water a day.
I'm still not on board for having to take pills for the rest of my life. But I'm not stupid either. I can't walk around with blood sugar levels or cholesterol levels that high and hope that everything is going to be fine. I have to work at it.
remarkably though, my blood pressure dropped to the normal range after a month. Go figure.
My doctor didn't give me a prescription for that Friday. I have an appointment with her on July 7. She'll see what's happening then.

So I'm low carbing and doing low fat. Can anyone say yum yum?
I look at exercise videos, but I haven't done any yet.
I look at my walking shoes, but I haven't put them on yet.
I look at my weights, but I haven't lifted them yet, thought I do want to buy one of those cute little stands for them so they will look nice and organized.

I'll keep you posted on how well I do when I start doing.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home