Tuesday, May 23, 2006

When did I get this old?

He was talking on his cell phone when I pulled into the parking lot and he turned to look at me.
He opened the door to his SUV and just stared in my direction.
He should have. I was having one of my "good days."
I was wearing what I call a hair hat, (also known as a long wig) a pair of thong sandles and a blue jean dress. Since I was sitting in my car, all he could see from his distance was the hair, and maybe my make-up and my face.
But just having him there staring at me made me uncomfortable.
Was he staring at me?
Why was he staring at me?
Was this the beginning of a flirt?
Should I flirt back?
Should I stare?
Should I smile?
Should I say something?
Oh lord, I have to get out of this car.
How do I get out of this car gracefully?
My wig is slipping. Should I pull it down?
My butt is too big. Don't get out of the car.
Oh shoot, now he is going to think I'm a mental patient.
What do I do?
As he continued to talk on his phone, he continued staring at me.
Then he smiled and waved.
My eyes widen. I smiled. I waved back.
Then I opened the door and stepped out of my car into a puddle of water.
He got into his SUV and drove away.
I am so pathetic.
When did I get this old that I have lost the knack of flirting? Where was my womanly wiles?
Now that I am a mother, I spend so much time devoted to my son that I've forgetten the basic.
Two years ago, I would not have thought that much about flirting back, especially if I "thought" the guy was flirting with me.
yet, I went through an entire process that would have eventually had me thinking what kind of father this guy would make for my son.
I don't know him. I remember more about the SUV he drove than what he looks like.
Life is too short to analysis every possible man and meaning.
I just want learn how to go with the moment.
I think I used to be able to do that. Or at least I thought I did.

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Emilie said...

Ha! I love the way you wrote this, Cynthia. I can identify, truly, even though I haven't been in that exact situation. I have always felt awkward in the flirting department anyway, and these days, I am actually surprised if I think I am being flirted with - as if I've forgotten it can happen to me. And I have no idea what to do - esp. since I am not in the market for flirting anymore. (Trust me, it hasn't happened since I started showing.)

Don't worry. I'm sure it's like riding a bike, and when you find yourself in a prime flirting situation, I'm sure you'll know how to respond. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home