Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy Cinco de Dion

You woke up today and with a smile on your face, you ran to the bathroom, pushed open the door and said, "Mommy, eat, eat."
Then you grabbed your battery-operated toothbrush and started sucking the bristles in what you would say was your attempt at brushing your teeth.
It's something you've done hundreds of time, but today was the first time that you did it as a 2-year-old toddler.
Happy Birthday, baby!!!!!
I know at this age, your having a birthday does not mean nearly as much to you as it does to me. Right now, it's just another day.
But for right now, it means so much to me - so much that I don't want to share it all with the World Wide Web. There are some things that should remain just between mom and child.
But what I will share is how fast time moves and how quickly things change from moment to moment, day to day, month to month and year to year.
I remember last year this time playing with you as you stood near my bed. The top of your head barely reached the top of my mattress.
Now, you are head and shoulder above it. You've grown 10 1/2 inches in a year. How is that possible?
You are so independent wanting to feed yourself, attempting to dress yourself. You love pulling on and off your shoes. You've learned to take your arms out of the car seat. You are even playing on some big toys, within reason. I'm still very concerned about your falling.
Tomorrow I will throw you a birthday party at Chick-Fil-A. You'll eat nuggets, ice cream, cake and fries with about 10 of your little friends.
When I first began planning this, I really wanted something that the other parents would ooh and awe about. I wasn't focused.
But now I am. It's all about you having fun.
And based on what I'm planning, I think you will.
Lots of food, a little structure and lots of fun.
I know that you like the play area at Chick Fil-A and baby's it is all about what you like.
You have changed so much, but you have also changed me so much, too.
Thank you, my sweet boy, for being such a sweet boy.
Folks used to say that about you - you know, that you were a sweet little boy - but I didn't get it then.
Now I do.
Being around you makes people smile - a smile that you greet me with each morning.
Happy birthday baby.

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Emilie said...

Happy birthday, Dion! Have fun at Chick-Fil-A! (And Cynthia, you sound like such a great mom.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home